Saturday, January 28, 2012

My 2000 Miata

I have taken a few years out of racing and sold my race car projects including a 1987 Rx7. I have recently sold my first car, the 98 Civic and bought a 2000 Miata SE. I purchased this car to use as a fun car that I can drive to work daily but still enjoy the mountains in. My plans are to eventually turn this car into a dedicated hillclimb, time trial racer and use a different car as my daily. This has been a great car for me the last 6 months. Its a blast to drive! Great balance and much better handling than even my modified 1991 turbocharged autocrossing Miata I had a few years prior and this was on the stock suspension! The brakes have done very well but could benefit from higher temperature rated front brake pads. It is very quick to turn and very stable. This car was previously owned by a elementary  school teacher that she bought brand new and put 130k miles on it so this thing is completely unmodified and title is clean. It does have a bit too much front to rear weight transfer due to too soft of springs in my opinion but this allows for epic trail-brake entries and planted exits so you can really get on the gas early during any point in the turn. This car has the optional Torsen LSD rear differential which really helps these cars a lot.


My only serious complaint about the car is the amount of power. This car's mid corner stability and exit characteristics have made for a too good of a handling car for the engine provided. Throttle modulation does not get you much of any change but more revs are your best friend. This car dyno'd at 108whp@6800 rpm and 103wtq@4400 rpm. I have found that I am not getting the entry speeds I want on most of the roads around here. To really utilize the LSD and great handling this car has to offer. I figure another 50whp would be enough to balance the car out again and make corner exits and straights as fun as the entries and mid corner grip this car has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment